After surgery, do not disturb the wound. Avoid rinsing, spitting, or touching the wound on the day of the surgery.
PLEASE NOTE: If you have had collagen grafting, the collagen or fibrin clots may come through the surgery sites, which is normal.
- Please avoid removing or disrupting the graft.
- Please avoid tugging or looking at the areas as this could disrupt tissue healing.
NO SMOKING – Smoking can complicate your healing process. It is preferred that you do not smoke throughout your healing process. If you choose to smoke, you do so at your own risk.
BLEEDING – Some bleeding or redness in the saliva is normal for the first 24 hours.
- If you have excessive bleeding (example: If you mouth fills rapidly with blood) or if bleeding is continuous, please call for further instructions.
- If you have had grafting from your palate, place a tea bag to the roof of your mouth and hold pressure there until the bleeding subsides. Please contact the office to be seen if bleeding continues.
SWELLING – Swelling and bruising is a normal occurrence following periodontal surgery.
- To minimize swelling, apply an ice pack or a plastic bag or towel filled with ice on cheek in the area of surgery.
- Apply the ice intermittently as needed for the first 48 hours.
DIET – It is important to modify your diet while you are in the healing process. Please follow these guidelines:
- Drink plenty of fluids.
- Avoid hot liquids or foods.
- Soft food and liquids are recommended for the first day.
- Do not bite into foods.
- Avoid hard, crunchy, or small grains of food that may become lodged into the gums.
PAIN – Take Motrin 600mg 1 hour before the appointment.
Take the Motrin (Ibuprofen) 600mg for at least 3-5 days following your procedure to help reduce inflammation even if you are not experiencing discomfort. If you find that Motrin is not controlling your pain, you may also take Acetaminophen (Tylenol) 325mg or 500mg in conjunction with the Motrin 600mg.
*Note* Do not take any of the above medication if you are allergic or have been instructed by your physician not to take them. Please inform our office of any allergies or contraindications.
ANTIBIOTICS – (Start the day of the appointment) If antibiotics were prescribed, take them as directed until gone. If you have a reaction to the antibiotic, discontinue and call the office.
ORAL HYGIENE – Good oral hygiene is essential to good healing. You may brush the tops of the teeth motioning away from the gumline. Do not brush or floss the gumline until your post-op appointment because it can disrupt the graft. At your post-op appointment, you will receive updated brushing/flossing instructions.
*VIGOROUS MOUTH RINSING AND USING STRAWS SHOULD BE AVOIDED FOLLOWING SURGERY*
- Rinsing or drinking from a straw can cause the forming blood clot to dislodge.
- You may begin gentle rinsing with Peridex 24 hours after surgery.
- You may rinse with warm salt water between Peridex rinses: ½ tsp salt in 6-8oz warm water/30 seconds
ACTIVITY – Restrict activities such as exercising/heavy lifting or activities that elevate blood pressure and heart rate for 3-5 days after surgery. Overexertion may increase bleeding and swelling to surgical sites.
WEARING YOUR PROSTHESIS – If you have a mouthguard, Invisalign, retainers, or any other prosthetics, please bring them to your surgery appointment so we may determine when they can be worn.
SUTURES – Your sutures will be removed at the post-op appointment. Please refrain from touching or disturbing sutures.
If you have any questions or concerns about your progress, please call our office at 717-972-0031.